75 Truths, Lessons, Takeaways, and Empowering Questions that I Gleaned from My Time At the Omega Ins
Today I am just feeling so inspired to write write write and I’ve learned from experience that when inspiration comes knocking, open the door.So I am going to go back in and explore more of my Omega Institute experience and integration. There is seriously so much that I could say about my time at Omega and one thing I did for myself was kept a sort of “gem journal” as I heard gems from the motivational and gifted speakers, I wrote down snippets of their words to reflect on later. I have decided to put them all in one place and reflect on them later. They are beautiful as they are, and, interwoven, truly manifest my experience at Omega. I know that I will be coming back to these points and elaborating and integrating further, but for now, it feels good for them to be here, together.
1. Being Mindful Isn’t Something You Do--It’s Something You Are.
2. We take 20,000 breaths a day--how many do you actually pay attention to? (They say if humans were in charge of their breath, we’d all be dead)
3. Don’t help people--help people help themselves.
4. Sometimes what’s necessary for human beings isn’t measurable by data.
5. The more we give people the “tools”, the more things that can get fixed.Love is the most powerful force in the universe.
6. Sometimes you have to get kids to play attention vs. pay attention.
7. The greatest gift that you can give someone is to truly see them--make them visible. “Until you see me, I don’t exist”.
8. Those helping others need support themselves.How do we balance ourselves so that we can be who we need to be for children?
9. When you embody something it is beyond a skill; it is a disposition.
10. We all have the propensity for compassion and need to be there for others’ healing.
11. Speak your truth.
12. Don’t focus on who are we because we are always becoming and there is beauty in that process.
13. We are part of a social revolution happening right now.
14. Surrender to the process. Trust.
15. Stay curious. Discover and explore your curiosity.
16. Empower others to go within.
17. We all struggle with the tension to conform vs. the power to change.
18. Steward the garden of what’s possible.
19. Education is the intervention that could make a difference in this world.
20. It seems that we have all lost a sense of sacredness.
21. What is the purpose of being a human being on this planet?
22. What is the curriculum of the heart?
23. What do children need to be happy now?
24. The value needs to be in the now--not in the future.
25. Kids should be asking: are you helping me to discover myself TODAY?
26. We always tell children who they need to become instead of honoring and helping them reveal and discover who they are right now.
27. Releasing trauma begs the question: what do I need to release to be present right now?
28. Sometimes you need an energetic attunement, and then mindfulness works as a cleanser.
29. Painful memories can be daisy linked to other painful memories and reveal traumatic patterns in our systems.
30. Acknowledging our feelings helps to combat anxiety.
31. Anxiety and guilt results from lack of trust and lack of confidence.
32. Education is a tool to draw out divine light.
33. When was the last time you blessed your children?
34. We need more blessings, more ritual, more love.
35. Be bold enough to say what you want and say it outloud.
36. Effective schools question the norms of the society around them.
37. We teach what we’re supposed to learn.
38. We have to create conditions for success.
39. Ancient ways are now cutting edge--everything comes full circle.
40. The further inward you travel, the further outward you go.
41. Embrace you story and your sacred wounds. Wholeness = healing.
42. The way you restore dignity in a person’s life is by making them visible.
43. Invite them in, and give them a voice.
44. What is the rhythm of reflection?
45. Sacred is not scared.
46. Dialogue is not for agreement; it was for understanding.
47. Everyday you leave a legacy.
48. We learn from stories.
49. Plug into your power and choose from your heart.
50. Simple doesn’t mean trivial.
51. Who’s leading your bus? (Your scared inner child, the self conscious teenager, or the whole person?)
52. It is important that we act! Find what you can do--your way.
53. Be the one who you were meant to be and you will connect with the oneness all around you.
54. We create our world through language.
55. The truth is emotions are often co-regulated.
56. Teachers are helping to transmit messages, energy levels, etc
57. .How do you want to feel?
58. How comfortable are we as adults at being vulnerable?
59. If you knew a child’s frustration came from anger versus disappointment how would you treat the situation differently?
60. You cannot be emotionally intelligent if you are not culturally conscious.
61. The master strategies for emotional intelligence are:
A) Breathing/ mindfulness/ self reflection
B) Positive self talk
C) Self care
62. The breath shifts our mindset in seeing our best possible selves.
63. We are losing 1000s of teachers every year to burn out, and the future of education is at risk.
64. Give children and adults the permission and space to be and feel.
65. Adults have to do the work before they do they work--you must work on yourself first.
66. Effective means do the right thing, and efficient means do the thing right.
67. Schools need to be set up to support the adults as well.
68. “All we have to lose are our chains”.
69. Instead of thinking of interventions, we should be thinking of ways to shift conditions.
70. Help people embrace their wounds and process unprocessed energy.
71. Teacher support needs to be ongoing as well.
72. We need to up-regulating emotions vs. just down regulating (raising vibes!)
73. Since emotions are co-regulated, teachers plays a major role in creating a vibe in the classroom.
74. If teachers are burnt out, stressed, traumatized themselves, it is not possible for them to create a good vibe.
75. We all need to accept and shift the stigma around vulnerability (Brene Brown’s work).